Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2009

Packing: The Longlist

Two months till Germany. I'm very gradually starting to think about packing and -- most importantly -- deliberate about which books to take with me. Rather a daunting task, even though I've tried to weed out my collection a bit over the last couple of months. Needless to say, most of it is staying here, it's just a question of what.
  • Langenscheidt, Pocket Dictionary German-English/English-German **
  • Wahrig, Wörterbuch der deutschen Sprache **
  • Duden, Fremdwörterbuch
  • Richerd Lederer, Reference Grammar of the German Language
  • LSJ **
  • Smyth's Greek Grammar **
  • Grund- und Aufbauwortschatz Griechisch
  • Sidgwick's Greek Verse Composition
  • Hans Orberg, Lingua Latina
  • Moreland & Fleischer, Latin: An Intensive Course
  • Nicholas J. Brown, New Penguin Russian Course
  • Morrison & Gauthier, French Grammar
  • Lewis V. Thomas, Elementary Turkish
  • John Saeed, Semantics
  • Handbook of Narratology **
  • Dictionary of Literary Terms
  • Jonathan Culler, Structuralist Poetics **
  • Todorov, The Fantastic
  • Horkheimer & Adorno, Dialektik der Aufklärung **
  • Mikhail Bakhtin, The Dialogic Imagination
  • Peter Bürger, Theorie der Avantgarde
  • Walter Kaufmann, Tragedy and Philosophy **
  • Kant, Critique of Judgment
I'm a bit alarmed, as it is only the most important of my reference material and Fachliteratur, and it already makes up quite a hefty list! Obviously, I can't take all of them, or I won't have room for anything else. Seeing that I also plan to buy books while I'm in Germany, I want to keep the number of books I take with me down as much as possible, and I'd rather not have to try to ship stuff.

And this still leaves everything else, and it's rather hard to guess what I'm going to need...German literature I can, of course, acquire easily enough once I'm there, but I'd rather not have to buy a book because I need it for class while my copy is sitting unread in Boulder several thousand miles away! I took a look at the Vorlesungsverzeichnis to see what's being offered, which at least gives me some idea of what I'm likely to need during the winter semester, but there's still comfort reading, and miscellaneous projects, and books that I've had forever and never had a chance to get around to reading...
  • Kleist, Werke in einem Band **
  • Goethe, Faust; Dramen **
  • Ingeborg Bachmann
  • Ilse Aichinger
  • Franz Kafka
  • E.T.A. Hoffmann, Erzählungen
  • Hermann Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel
  • Hermann Broch, Der Tod des Vergil **
  • Özdamar, Die Brücke vom goldenen Horn
  • Friedrich Nietzsche, Die Geburt der Tragödie
  • Russische Zaubermärchen
  • Chekhov, Рассказы
  • Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
  • Nicholas Ostler, Empires of the Word
  • George Steiner, After Babel
  • Anne Carson, Autobiography of Red
  • Michael Ayrton, The Maze-Maker
  • Christopher Logue, War Music
  • Mary Renault, Rosemary Sutcliff
  • Daphne du Maurier, Rebecca
  • Ursula le Guin
  • Italo Calvino
  • Julio Cortazar, Hopscotch
  • A.S. Byatt, Possession
  • Thomas Wolfe, You Can't Go Home Again
Sigh. I was aiming for two Girl Scout cookie boxes or thereabouts, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get it down that far. (It doesn't help that every time I look at this list, rather than taking stuff off, I find something else to add!)

I'm going to have to double-check the baggage policies for US Airways, and then take another look at my suitcase and get a sense of how things are going to fit. I need to buy another suitcase, but I'm still not sure how much space that is going to leave me. Besides clothes, I also need to leave space for:
  • Laptop
  • Sewing kit
  • Patterns + fabric
  • Plush pegasus family
  • Tea (whatever's left at that point)
I think most other stuff I should be able to buy once I get there.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen